Tradition – Know-how over generations
The success story of the GROB GROUP begins in 1926 with the foundation of the company Ernst Grob Werkzeug- und Maschinenfabrik by Ernst Grob, who was awarded an honorary doctorate in engineering sciences in 1984 by the Technical University of Stuttgart. A success story that has been significantly shaped throughout ninety years by the outstanding personalities of the Grob family.
And it is a long path the company has ventured down from the first standard product, a stationary heat engine, through to the highly modern, completely hydraulic-free, fully CNC-controlled machining center. A path that describes the innovative force and superior technological know-how of the company. But also a path paved with all the ups and downs the company had to face, in particular during the German post-war period.
Culminating in a special factor in setting the course of the company in 1952, when Burkhart Grob, the son of the company founder, takes over the company, which had suffered extensive damage in the war, following his graduation as a Dipl.-Ing. at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich. He very quickly recognised the potential of the automotive industry that was developing at the time and accomplished, not only the reconstruction of the company with its high quality and technically advanced production machines, but also maintaining contact to the automotive industry. In the last few years alone, numerous patents have been applied for, all based on his groundbreaking technical innovations.
A long path that enabled the small machine tool factory from Munich in the thirties to develop into a global payer and worldwide technology and market leader in the construction of special-purpose machines. The company has shown a very successful development, has been led by a strong management with high product innovation, an entrepreneurial instinct and a very strong social commitment. In recognition of his achievements as an engineer and entrepreneur, Burkhart Grob was awarded an honorary doctorate by the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the University of Augsburg in 1988, amongst other things.
Top picture: Henry Ford visits the German museum in Munich in 1930. Oskar von Miller (2nd from the left.), Ernst Grob (3rd from the left.), Henry Ford (4th from the left.)
Bottom picture: Bavaria's Prime Minister Franz Josef Strauß awards Burkhart Grob the Order of Merit of the State of Bavaria in 1986